Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Honourable Chair, Distinguished Delegates, I am on a mission.

A reminiscence of the days of attending various Model United Nation (MUNs) events across Europe saw me giggling and revelling. Great days they were.

MUNs are university or college-level simulation of the activities and agencies of the United Nation by students and young professionals from different walks of life. Hundreds of young men and women gather from various higher institutions to induct themselves into the world and psyche of leaders and global policy and decision makers.

To most students and young professionals, it is an introduction into the world of diplomacy and international relations and an eye-opener into challenges that world leaders faces in trying to manage the daunting problems of our age.

Undergraduate and graduate students from several parts of the world generally gather for a week-long, brain-tasking and energy-sapping debate on global issues. It involves several sessions of debates, lobbying and meetings which requires high-level of preparation and unmatched degree of intelligence, eloquence and articulation to succeed.

Owing to the nature of the simulation exercise, delegates cannot represent their country of origin. They have to act as the representative(s) of another country and advance positions on behalf of the country they represent.

I have had the opportunity to represent Poland, China, Sweden, Egypt, Iraq and Canada and functioned on the World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), Commission for Sustainable Development (CSD) and International Atomic and Energy Agency (IAEA). I have discussed and debated biopiracy, pro-poor and economic development, peace in the Korean Peninsula, north-south development cooperation and a host of other topics that have stretched me intellectually and shaped me globally.

I have won awards at three MUNs – Best Delegate, Special Mention and Honourable Mention and received standing accolade at one. Dedicating one of my awards to my committee mates, I had said ‘We were delegations who rose to motions to present our positions and even while we saw oppositions we were still able to draft resolutions’

I think of those days of chanting honourable chair, distinguished delegates and a sense of assignment is invoked in me. I am a man on a mission and those days were part of my preparation.

No comments: