Monday, June 13, 2016

Mark your Calendar!

June 23rd 2016 is the date and the event is Britain’s Referendum for a YES or NO vote to either stay with its other Brothers and Sisters in the European Union or part ways.

Having barely recovered from the ‘traumatic threat’ of a recent Scottish good-bye, Britain now has to deal with another malady – a possible cut from its 27 acquaintances of over 40 years; a potential ‘no-more’ to the European Union (EU) blog.

One thing is different though; with the Scotland issue, Britain wanted this alliance. With the EU issue however, Britain (or most Britons) desire an exit. This has therefore made a way for the new lingo ‘Brexit’ into our vocabulary.

With some of its constituent nations currently limping economically, an unfettered access to the UK is the hope of many inhabitants and organizations within the EU. England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have become the El Dorado and the country of economic relief to many Europeans. Britain however wants specific barriers; barriers that many consider unfriendly and unwarranted.

A geo-economic and political blog currently battling unprecedented and multi-faceted crises certainly would try not to exacerbate its woes. It would do all it can, pulling all its might, to prevent a further crack-down on its fragile wall. Unfortunately, it can only do so to the extent that the voices of its other 27 members count on issues that Britain contends on. On the table are several agreements, regulations, directives and decisions that economic and political leaders in the EU are negotiating and lobbying on.

Opinions are flying, polls are jamming, results are differing; there is no clear direction on where the pendulum will swing.

I personally think a ‘Bristay’ is the right path in line with my personal philosophy that Bridges should be built not burnt, but I am not a Briton and my opinion certainly remains mine at a time like this.

The question then is why do I care which way Britain goes in its Referendum and why don’t I leave matter for Mathias and Sabi for Sabinus? (Pidgin for ‘why don’t I care less’). The truth is that I believe I was born to be an Advocate of Collaboration and Togetherness; wherever I see Trust being torn apart, I feel a call to action; whenever Cooperation is being exchanged for Competition, a cord in me is strucked even though sometimes I cannot do much about the situation.

Not that I am a Pundit on regional collaborations especially as it pertains to the EU, but I have a built special fervor and interest in International Development and Global Matters and I believe I may have a significant role to play in this space someday soon.

As it stands, I have marked my calendar and I am hoping that the final decision taken by Britons on June 23rd would bring tranquility to Britain and the EU.


#deescalate crisis.

No comments: